MA in Education- Lancaster University - 2001
National Primary Qualification in Headship
Certificate in Further Professional Studies in Specific Learning Difficulties (Dyslexia) Bangor University-1991/2
Bachelor of Education Oxford University -1973
Associate Member of PATOSS (Professional Association of Teachers of Students with Specific Learning Difficulties)
Associate Member of SCUDA (South Cumbria Dyslexia Association)
I have worked in various educational settings including class teaching Mainstream Primary and Middle Schools; Home tuition in Lambeth; private tuition in Lancaster; and teaching in local Special Schools (Red Oak; Morecambe Road) .
I have been a classteacher as well as a Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) for many years and was Headteacher locally for 10 years. Since retirement I work with a variety of students.
I regularly attend courses to remain up to date with modern developments.
During every lesson a specific format is followed which is customised for each student reflecting their individual interests.
This will involve:
- Alphabetic letter recognition (graphemes and phonemes) using coloured foam magnetic letters.
- Introduction/revision of particular groups of spellings, over-learning and consolidation through a multi-sensory approach.
- Reading from appropriate texts.
- Writing for confidence and fluency, using a cursive script.
- Home reading; ideally a stimulating book being read to the student, aimed at their interest level.
- Set homework and tasks, when appropriate.
This will be supported by a variety of resources; from children’s books, leaflets, newspapers and poetry to computer spelling programmes.
DBS clearance (Disclosure and Debarring Service)
“Tell me and I forget.
Teach me and I remember.
Involve me and I learn“
“Any book worth reading by children,is also worth reading by grown-up persons.”